Connecting Next Generation Assessments to the Standards
Major Shifts in Literacy
Curriculum experts have identified the major shifts that the new standards will include. Below are findings from two sources regarding the major shifts in ELA.
1. From the Indiana Department of Education:
ACTIVITY: Visit Indiana DOE Website for an overview of the four major shifts listed in the graphic above. While at the page, be sure to click on the video linked within each "Major Shift". The videos provide examples of sources you can use with your students to enhance your lesson plans to address the shifts in expectations.
2. From the Partnership for Assessment of College and Career Readiness:
Common Core Shifts for ELA/Literacy*
- Complexity: The standards require regular practice with complex text and its academic language
- Evidence: The standards emphasize reading and writing grounded in evidence from text, both literary and informational
- Knowledge: The standards require building knowledge through content rich non-fiction