"Using Your new practice" (Discussion Forum)

"Using Your new practice" (Discussion Forum)

Number of replies: 26
Now that you have explored a few elements that contribute to a blended environment, describe what this new practice might look like in your classroom.

After completing your post, respond to at least one other participant whose response resonates with you (either in a positive or negative way). In your response, include:

• a rationale for your thoughts
  • a question, idea, or statement that furthers the conversation
  • kindness and respect for your peers' thoughts and ideas

Once you have completed this activity, you will be ready to move on to the next: Taking Blended Learning Further - Next Steps Information

In reply to First post

Re: "Using Your new practice" (Discussion Forum)

by Katherine Krauss -

I see taking blended learning in my math classroom to the point of flipping the classroom. 

I also see incorporating lots of creation based resources into my German classroom as well as quizlet. Giving out vocabulary practice takes up LOTS of classroom time. I'd liketo see students learning vocabulary sets on their own through Quizlet and working through online quizzes as they go. As students complete each set, they could add the words to a glossary so that they could keep track of which words they are supposed to know already and also see how much they have learned and progressed each year. 

In reply to Katherine Krauss

by Marie Zill -

I agree with Katie, if students could come into a classroom knowing the vocabulary, more time could be spent on practice problems and inquiry lessons.

In reply to First post

by David Slusser -

Blended learning in my higher level classes, maybe to the point of flipping the classroom could be great for my social studies classes. They present so many real world applications that I can use real world experiences to guide learning via application of the material.

In my history classes, however, there is so much content to cover each year, that neglecting a little bit could really hurt a student on a standardized test. Having small gaps of content knowledge could leave a student lost when he or she wants to connect subjects. I need to experiment with this in a class, to an extent, just to figure out how to blend the extra facts and knowledge with the smaller amount of application.

In reply to First post

by Michael Reeves -

I see blended learning occurring in almost all of my subjects. The blended learning will not always be videos. Sometimes it will be audio, websites for practice, or other technological applications that will enhance student-learning. In the elementary classroom blended learning is beneficial and hard work, but the students will benefit from the furthered engagement. I hope to be able to use tablets in the classroom at least sometimes in order to help my students. Overall, I hope to give my students many opportunities to extend their learning through technology. 

In reply to First post

by Samantha Pierce -

In my current placements I am lucky enough to have  and experience a blended learning environment. Blended learning doesn't always consist of just viewing videos off of the internet. It can include anything from making videos, using different tools on smart boards, or using any type of iPad or tablet to increase students' learning. Getting students involved is huge when it comes to successful teaching and learning because it catches their interests and when I have my classroom, as an elementary teacher, I plan on using the blended learning environment!

In reply to Samantha Pierce

by Deleted user -

I like that you think of new ways to find unique blended learning activities. How would you incorporate them into a PBL unit? How do you think you students would handle it? Could it be too overwhleming? Great Job! 

In reply to First post

by Anna Ryerson -

I would bring blended learning into my class by making it a lot more hands on and creative based rather then texts book.  My students would be moving around a lot more and making sure that they actually know and are learning the information rather then just retaining it.

In reply to First post

by Ashley Alore -

Blended learning can be great in the elementary school level. Free apps on the iPad are great for the visual learners. Students as young as first grade know how to use them to some extent and now that we have worked with them in class and explored them more, I would love to be able to use them in my classroom for blended learning lessons and more.

In reply to First post

by Jocelyn Kirk -

I can see myself using Blended Learning in the classroom to put analysis into my students hands. I would do this by creating stations in the classroom that involve video review, personal reflection, group discussion, and review with the teacher. Through this I can create an environment where students come up with ideas on their own before bringing it to the group and building further on their knowledge. This is all done without the teacher's help. Rather than giving my students everything they need to know I can create an environment where they teach themselves and personally reflect on their ideas.

In reply to First post

Ashley Tuttle

by Ashley Tuttle -
I think that by including more blended learning, it will give your students more opportunities to learn in the classroom. I would want to integrate more technology it isn't always reading a text book. BY doing something different, it gets your students more engaged and focused on their learning.
In reply to Ashley Tuttle

Re: Ashley Tuttle, Colin Campbell

by Colin Campbell -

I really like your idea that not all learning comes out of a textbook and this is an important concept. I think adding something like a digital textbook would be a cool idea for classrooms, to further learning.

In reply to First post

by Alexandra Woodburne -

There are many different ways to incorporate Blended Learning other than simply viewing videos or presentations online. It may be using a screencast to introduce a lesson or clarify instruction. Blended Learning can be used for collaboration and evaluation using tools like Skype, Wiki, Google Docs, Rubistar, and Poll Everywhere. I hope to extend many online learning opportunities to my future students using the principles of Blended Learning. 

In reply to First post

by Jacob Schmeltzer -

In the music classroom, things can get very repetitive especially when performances are getting closer. I would like to use blended learning as a means of not only helping students learn more about music and how it connects to the world, but as way to keep things fresh and new in the classroom.

In reply to First post

by Colin Campbell -

Inorporating blended learning into the classroom i think helps to deepen students understanding of material. Students have to analyze and create things with blended learning which truley helps the students to synthesize material. Especially in a social studies classroom were blended learning can play a big role, for example having students research and develop a presentation on a historic figure on their own. Different online activities can be down, for example students choose from a multitude of videos and write a short response to it. The student can choose whatever topic interests them the most. If students can develop the skills of a self directed learner early on it will be incredible beneficial to them as they continue into college and their proffessional careers.

In reply to Colin Campbell

by Anthony Knop -

I agree that blended learning can readily improve student's skill as independent learners. Having students work outside of class to achieve a goal, like a presentation or paper, will give them the necessary skills to work independently and effectively.

In reply to Colin Campbell

by Adam Ballien -

Blended learning could be a big part in social studies and I like how you allow them to chose what they would want to research

In reply to First post

Jared Groeneveld

by Jared Groeneveld -
Blended Learning in a social studies classroom can be very useful and informational to students. This gives students the flexibility to participate in something that they can take an interest in. This also gives the students the flexibility to report what they have learned in a manner that best suits them. In my lesson plan, the students watch videos independently and then collaborate with other students to come up what is the best idea to fix the problem. By giving students flexibility, students will take a more interested approach to what they are working on. The use of technology allows students to branch out and learn on their own and at their own pace.
In reply to First post

by Anthony Knop -

I like some of the aspects of blended learning and in some cases it could be very useful in a social studies classroom. I just don't see myself making blended instruction a huge part of my classroom. I understand the importance of integrating technology and learning outside the classroom, but I fear that some students may fall behind if they don't receive enough face-to-face instruction to make blended learning effective. I can see myself occassionally using this procedure, but not making it an everyday instructional tool.

In reply to Anthony Knop

by Cora Essenmacher -

I personally dont see me using blending learning in my classroom setting either. I think it can make learning fun for students but I also feel that that students work better if the work is given to the face to face rather than through something online. 

In reply to First post

by Amanda Jones -

I don't see using blended learning as something that would be successful in the age group that I am planning on teaching.  I am looking to teach in the younger grades, and those students tend to need to have face-to-face instructions and tend to have questions about what is being asked of them. I see how it could benefit students in upper educational settings, but for early education or elementary education, I don't see it working and being successful.

In reply to Amanda Jones

Mary Seals

by Mary Seals -

I know what you mean, Amanda, especially if you are talking about the lower elementary levels (K-2).  These kids need face-to-face experiences with a teacher who can give directions, intervene with conflict resolution, and reassure with lots of hugs.  However, I have seen cool technology lessons in use at grades 4-6 that might surprise you....so never say never!

In reply to Amanda Jones

by Adam Ballien -

I can see where grades like kindergarteners could stuggle with a lot of blended learning they may need more face to face time to acquire the skills that they need

In reply to First post

Mary Seals

by Mary Seals -

The use of Blended Classroom has so many applications at the secondary level and also the college level, which are the areas I hope to teach in.  I can see the use of Quizlet for students who are learning vocabulary sets on their own. They could also be working through online quizzes as they go which would save lots of inclass time. I think that I would probably use a combination of Blended Classroom techniques along with more traditional forms of teaching, as well. Students at these levels must, by necessity, be able to use the latest technology if they are to stay abreast of an ever-changing educational environment. 

In reply to Mary Seals

Re: Mary Seals

by Stacey Eno -

I agree with you Mary, I think that was very well said. I think that Quizlet is a great tool that can be used, and a great way to combone traditional teaching and the new technology. The school environment is evolving quickly, and it is important for teachers to support the students in keeping up with change.

In reply to First post

by Adam Ballien -

I think blended learning in a math classroom could take on the form of flipping the classroom. Creating videos through educreations or screenchomp or screen-cast-omatic would be great things to use to reteach my lessons and give the students additional teaching instructions that they need. They would also be able to practice many math skills using the ipads playing games. 

In reply to First post

by Marie Zill -

I will use blending learning in my practice with either a flipped classroom and/or an online community.  I could see myself flipping my classroom in math and giving the lesson for homework and working on problems in class.  And I can see an online community as useful for discussion board and organization skills. I still don't think there is any replacement for F2F learning.