8.4 Thinking About Your Classroom

8.4 Thinking About Your Classroom

Número de respuestas: 18

Blended Learning FlowchartYou have now viewed a video about blended learning, taken an assessment and reviewed your results considering your own readiness for online learning, and then considered strategies/tips to be successful when online.  Now read pages 8-16 of the white paper "Classifying K-12 Blended Learning" by the Clayton Christensen Institute (feel free to read the entire document if you would like!).

Begin to think about your classroom and students.  If you were to change your classroom to be blended today, which model would you implement and why?

Share at least one idea with your classmates.  Click Reply below to share your idea.

Once you have completed this activity, you will be ready to move on to the next: 8.5 Choosing Web 2.0 Tools for Teaching & Learning

En respuesta a Primera publicación

Re: 8.4 Thinking About Your Classroom- Katie Tuski

de Kathryn R. Tuski -

I think that I would implement the flipped classroom model. With the flipped classroom, the students learn the lesson at home, then come to school to work on their work, they are prepared with any questions on materials that they don't understand. I think I would use this because I feel like the students would have more personal time with me, because I am not trying to teach the whole class, who learn at different levels and at different speeds. I think that since students are able to go back at spots that don't make sense to them, it gives them an individual opportunity to try again, and if they don't get it they can ask in class the next day. This also helps the high achievers who understand and can move on quicker, continuing to learn without getting bored.

En respuesta a Kathryn R. Tuski

de Kassidi M. Adams -

I think this is a really great and neat idea in allowing a lot of teacher-student contact time. It allows for teachers to really get to know students and the specific areas they are advanced in or struggling with.

En respuesta a Kathryn R. Tuski

de Corey J. Bell -

I agree with you Katie.  The flipped classroom is a great way for students to learn.  I like how they learn the information at home, but do the work in school.  That way they can ask questions and get help if they need it. 

Re: 8.4 Thinking About Your Classroom

de Rebecca J. Blasius -

I would use the rotational model because this incorporates a lot of variety in the learning. Also I believe it best supports blended learning because it includes technology pieces, but also face to face pieces. For example, they say in this model that you would do some online work, but the teacher would rotate at specific intervals to do group work, instruction, and the online work. This model would best support English because students during reading units might be writing papers and need feedback from peers and even instruction. But I think this model would work best for my future English classroom. 

de Zachary D. Baker -

Flipped Classroom is a form of blended learning that I have researched on for EDC 400. I really like this style of teaching because it allows for student to teacher interaction to grow inside a classroom. Teachers go from being a guide on the side to being a mentor and interacting with the kids. The time in class is spend on meaningful activities that give students and teachers instant feedback. This is something that doesn't happen too often in traditional classrooms.  It could require 30-45 minutes for a teacher to create a 10 minute video which makes me a little concerned about jumping to this model. I also wonder what subjects this method would work best in. I think math would be a great subject for this teaching method to be implemented into. 

de Shawna S. Young -

I would also like to incorporate the flipped classroom.As educators, something that is very limited is time and with the flipped classroom teachers can get more teaching done and actually have students engaged during class time.Having students do the lesson at home and then coming to school the next day to do an activity about the lesson is also going to help students understand the material better.

de David R. Foster -

I think I would prefer to use a rotational model because then you can give your students a variety of different tasks and assignments with the freedom to use technology whenever you feel it is right. I'm a big fan of working with the students in the classroom rather than sending them home with a bunch of work to do. This model provides the time and resources to accomplish all your curriculum and personal goals while in the classroom with the students.

de Kassidi M. Adams -
I like the idea of the rotational model and would want to implement that in my classroom. I really like that it allows for a lot of variety and teaching methods and strategies to be used. This is a great way to reach all different types of learners. This will also allow students to not only explore many different ways to learn a concept but they get comfortable with technology, too when you incorporate it in the classroom. I do not really like the idea of a flipped classroom because i think this needs a stable home environment where students can get a lot of help, and where I am from this is generally not the case with the majority of families.

de Samantha K. Grace -

I think the best option for a music classroom is the Flipped-Classroom model. I am a big fan of the software called "Smart Music." This software allows students to work on music assignments at home that I assign to them through a shared account. Students are able to work individually at home, and get immediate feedback from the computer. After students complete the assignment, they can report back to me at school with any questions or concerns, and I can help them face-to-face. Students are able to control the atmosphere they are in, as well as work at the pace they are comfortable at. They can redo the assignment as many times as they want until they are satisfied with their grade. Parents are able to access the grade book and see how their child is doing. 

de Hannah E. Hybl -

I would probably implement the flipped classroom model.  I feel like it is efficient and students will like it. Students are still in control of their learning and they are still within your classroom where you can guide them. I like the fact that students can get the teaching and the lecture in a video and then continue their work in the classroom. With the lecture, you don't have to worry about disturbances in the classroom. You can create your lesson which understandably takes time and effort, but is efficient getting to your students and only takes so long for them to watch. When in class, you can reiterate the lesson the students already know about, be there to supervise your students working and help them with problems. 

de Justin J. Thelen -

As an aspiring English Language Arts teacher, I think that it would be interesting to have students read the same book as a class, but to allow students to answer different questions and do different projects based on their reading comprehension abilities. iPads, Chromebooks, or other means of technology would be used to support these different ways of assessment. 

de Alex S. Karapas -

I am going to take a different approach and say that I would not implement the flipped classroom approach in my classroom. I say this because although it is said to advocate better student and teacher relations, I think it does the opposite. Students are being forced to learn away from school when that time should be spent with family, friends, and other extracurricular activities. School is meant for students to be taught in and it should stay this way. Do I believe the concept is good? Yes I do. However, looking at the big picture I think having students learn at home so they can do the work at school is wrong. Yes, students spend time doing some homework at home, but I do not ultimately agree with the amount of homework some students are given. So, yes I see both sides of the equation, but in the end, I would not implement the flipped classroom approach in my classroom.

de Emily J. Reverman -

I would like to make my classroom a flipped classroom. I think that this technique is very beneficial for mathematics. This is because students will be able to view the videos at home and watch them as many times as they need to understand. Students will then be able to practice at school with the help of the teacher. There would be more time for students to ask questions and for the teacher to address specific needs of the students. 

de Jacob A. Oberg -

I Like the Idea of flipped classrooms as a form of blended learning. It is a great way to give the students the help they need in the classroom. This would even give you more time to incorporate more activities into the classroom. 

Corey Bell 8.4 Thinking About Your Classroom

de Corey J. Bell -

If I were to use a blended classroom I would use the flipped classroom.  I really like that the students go over the information at home, and work on the assignments in class.  That way they can ask questions and get the help they need in class.  One of my placements had a flipped classroom and I really liked the way it was ran.  The students really seemed to enjoy it as well.  They were responsible for their own learning at home, and had to do the assignments in class.  They seemed to enjoy it better than a traditional classroom, and had a better time understanding the information. 

de Anthony S. Audia -
I think if I was going to have a blended classroom I would probably work with the flipped classroom model. I think though that I can apply all of these models some way or another. But the most effective would be the flipped classroom. The students go home to learn some of the basic concepts, and what we do is application in the classroom. This is the exact model I desire in my classroom.

de Kegan M. Ball -

I would chose a flipped classroom model.  This can work for music because of online programs they offer, such as smart music.  Students can go home and work on these assignments and play through the material with help from smart music.  It is almost like having a band instructor in a music program.  This will impact my band classroom in such a positive way because more students will be playing their instrument more.  The more students are engaged and playing through exercises is only going to make the band class improve.  It is like never ending instruction that is fun! 

de Mikel H. Williams -

I have a bittersweet relationship with the idea of flipped learning and blended learning classrooms because it forces the student to learn the information the way the instructor teaches it. Even though there is an advatage of being able to go back and rewatch the video if you didn't understand it. I hate the fact that these type of teaching strategies don't really allow time for the students to ask questions where the teacher is able to interact with that student then and there. To me this type of teaching style is terrible for the kinesthetic learner and becomes disadvantageous for students like that as well as doesn't provide the opportunity for low-class familes students' to learn this way because most likely their household does not contain the technology needed.