Red Zone Discussion Forum

Jacob Schmeltzer

Jacob Schmeltzer

by Jacob Schmeltzer -
Number of replies: 3

Objective: My symphony orchestra students will be able to recognize the use of thematic motives in Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and later music including famous movie themes.

Feedback: A rubric will be presented to students previous to the assignment and will guide them through the necessary steps in analyzing the motives. It will also include an 8 measure, single line, staff notation assignment which will demonstrate the students' understanding of the use of musical motives.  I will make a template using Google Docs so the students can work through the assignments and recieve feedback throughout the process.  

Cooperative Learning: I will assign students to small groups of 2-5 people to work with on analyzing the music of thematic composers. To become more familiar with finding musical motives in music, students will collaborate on Google Docs to work as a team to analyze varying musical compositions with my guidance through the process

In reply to Jacob Schmeltzer

Re: Jacob Schmeltzer

by Ashley Tuttle -
I like that you have a rubric so that the students understand what they will be graded on. Also by working in small groups, they will be able to help each other out.

by Mary Seals -

I like the idea of using the rubric as a method of guiding students through the different steps. I definitely wish my band teacher did this in high school-- it is a great way to not only help guide the students, but also make the assignment and project have long-term memory effects on the students.

by Stacey Eno -

I like that the rubric will be striaght forward with the class! I also think that the small groups that will analyze the music of thematic composers will be great in the class. Students can even expand with discussing the composers, and this can lead to even greater concepts to further discuss.