NGAP Discussion Forum

NGAP Discussion Forum

Number of replies: 8

noun_project_19116.pngNow that you have experienced an NGAP assessment, take a moment to reflect on your experience using this discussion forum. In your reflection, please address each of the following questions in as much detail as possible:

• What types of skills are required of students to be able to solve/answer the assessment item(s) you experienced?
  • How are these types of questions and difficulty level similar or different to the current instruction and assessment?
  • What part of the test format might be difficult for some students? What suggestions do you have to help address these concerns?
  • Based on your responses to the previous questions, what support will you need to help students be successful on future statewide next generation assessments?

In addition to posting your own reflection, please please feel free to response to other individuals' posts.

Once you complete your forum post, you will be ready to move on to the next activity: How to create high quality assessment items

In reply to First post

Re: NGAP Discussion Forum

by David Slusser -

Students must be able to type at a high level in order to do well on these tests. Students that are bad typers are at a disadvantage from the get-go.

In reply to First post

by Michael Reeves -

This new test requires more higher level thinking and does not allow students to guess between 4 answers. This makes the test more difficult and also makes them more authentic. I think taking tests on the computer may be difficult for some students because they are used to taking pencil and paper tests. I think it is important to attempt to create assessments on the computers similar to the statewide examinations. 

In reply to First post

by Katherine Krauss -

As David said, typing will be a prerequisite skill for students. Slow typers will be placed at a disadvantage on any test item requiring extended written responses, and, depending on how items are assessed, typos could result in lower scores for students who genuinely know the material and simply typed incorrectly (less likely to occur in hand written assessments). Automated grading of answers could also result in lower scores if students do not format their answers exactly as the assessment expects. 

In reply to First post

by Deleted user -

There are many skills that students have to have in order to go through the assessment. They will have to be of a higher academic level since the assessment is more demanding. They are similar to current assessment because they challenge students but they are not tiered as well as other assessments. It would be difficult for students who are not technologically advanced and do not have good typing skills to complete the assessment. I will need to provided time for my students to practice their typing skills and to be come comfortable with technology in the classroom.

In reply to First post

by Jack Pryde -

This new test requires more higher order thinking. It makes the test more difficult and more authentic. Taking these tests may be different for studsetns because they aren't used to it. But overall I think it is important to create authentic assessments that requires higher order thinking skills.

In reply to First post

by Jocelyn Kirk -

This assessment really authentically analyzes a students knowledge. While it may be more difficult for a student to get through it provides a lot of great ways for educators to delve deeper into a students understanding. However, I do agree with David, there are some students who will clearly be at a disadvantage while taking this test.

In reply to First post

by Ashley Alore -

I do not think that I like these tests. I am a slower typer and feel that it would completely affect my grade. I would have a disadvantage from the very beginning and no matter how well I would could know the material I would not do good becasue of it. I know there are students like this and would get very very discouraged.